Thursday, October 20, 2022

♡ book haul #1 | gothic beat

Yesterday I had a uni thing which I was really nervous about. We were in groups giving each other feedback on papers that we'd written, and I was so sure of it that I hadn't good done enough on my part. Having good and supportive friends truly makes a difference because my group ended up passing it which was amazing! To celebrate that I got through this day, I decided to go to this new bookstore on my way home from uni. It was very small and interesting. I ended up buying two new books because I couldn't resist!


The first one is Big Sur by Jack Kerouac, which was written in ten days in 1961 and then published the year after. I haven't read it yet so I'm looking forward to reading it. I found myself feeling so sad reading the blurb on the back and the first few lines of the book, I think it's gonna be a heavy read. 


This particular edition is the Penguin Modern Classics in a beautiful white and pastel blue design on the cover. I think these Penguin editions are too gorgeous, the aesthetic is so simple but so beautiful. 

I also found Howl, Kaddish and Other Poems by Allen Ginsberg, but I didn't like the cover of it that much. I'm waiting until I can get my hands on a City Lights Pocket Poets edition because I do prefer the original cover of it more. I know the original cover is rather standard and it's just "words on a plain background", perhaps even boring to some. But there's something so iconic about it. It's almost like the poem doesn't need any cover or artwork because the poem paints the art for you in your mind. But I digress!

Left: what I found in the bookshop. Right: the one I actually want
Which one do you prefer?

The next book I got is Tales of Mystery & Imagination by Edgar Allan Poe. When it comes to the goth king, I can't resist picking up the same old collection of stories if they are cased in a pretty cover. It's my first instinct whenever I go into a bookshop—scour the shelves for anything by Poe. This particular one was a) PURPLE and b) decorated with glittering gold design on the cover as well as c) having gorgeous, glittering, gilded edges. What more can you ask of a classic? 


Grrrr, I promise it's not this dark, it's a mix of blue and aubergine purple, it's just so hard to photograph.


Of course, I had to bookmark my favourite story, The Tell-Tale Heart.

I tried to take the best pictures I could, but I don't think they do the book justice. If you can find this edition, it's so much better in person. I think I have three books of Edgar Allan Poe's work all together now!

Anyways, hope you liked this post. Wishing you all a happy day!